Friday, February 8, 2008

hi-yah!

So, I'm a chubby girl, and in general I'm a lazy girl. I like to go to the gym, but I get a little bored, and I find it hard to stay motivated to go. Ellipticals are fine, but not particularly interesting. The weightlifting section is always full of men. The treadmills are always full and also I tend to overdo it and burn myself out in ten or fifteen minutes. Girl might as well not go to the gym in that case.

But not this week.

Last week, one of the women at knitting circle told me that she'd started doing a Turbokick class at the local gym. It was fun, she said, and I should come along. Since classes are free for university staff, I thought, "Why not?"

Now I'm hooked. I could only go three times this week, and I pouted all yesterday when I had to work late and miss it. Why do I learn about everything so late? I thought it was just a my-gym thing, but apparently there's a whole Turbokick culture. It's a good workout too - kind of a mix of hip-hop and kickboxing. Do that for an hour and tell me your heart rate isn't up. I thought I was going to die after the first class, when I was sore before I even got home (and it's only a ten minute drive). But it was fun, and it was fast-paced, and unlike the regular hip-hop class, everyone was flushed and sweaty, down to the instructor. So I pushed through the pain like a real trooper the next day and lo and behold, it turns out just getting moving will help your aching muscles. And I thought I'd stuffed my brain full of all the knowledge it could use while I was in school.

I don't know why a class gets me to the gym when my own health doesn't. Maybe it's having an on and off gym buddy. Maybe it's being in a whole room full of people punching and kicking and shaking their booties. It does remind me some of my year on dance team. Or maybe it's just that the instructors have enviable bodies and I am convinced that, given a few weeks of jab-cross-hook-uppercut, I'll start to look like them. Just think if I skipped knitting circle and went five nights a week, how fast I'd be fit and fab.

And maybe I'll have a few smooth moves, as long as I don't roundhouse kick anyone in the club.

1 comment:

  1. It does sound like fun! I think there's a lot to be said for a fun atmosphere and friendly faces in encouraging girls to keep fit. We live across the road from a gym which my boyfriend goes to regularly but I've never fancied it, despite needing something more than long walks and music to keep fit. But some of my friends and I have been planning going to belly-dance classes, and THAT I'm excited about!

    ReplyDelete