Thursday, January 31, 2008

this is not a food blog

Though this is not a food blog, I do tend to spend a lot of time thinking about food and making food, so I might as well do a food entry. There have been two birthdays this month in my department at work, and so I set out to establish myself as the master baker, as if the pumpkin scones all autumn didn't prove that.

For the guitar-playing cashier, I made Dulcedo's Red Wine Cupcakes, because they sounded too delicious not to try. Indeed, they were, and beautiful besides - somewhere around I've got a photo that I'll add. I baked them in a rush one day after work because my family wanted a glass of wine, and I wanted them to be fresh (the recipe warns that they can go stale easily). Warm out of the oven, they were heavenly: biting into them gave a strong breath of merlot, and the caramel and chocolate drizzled over the top was melty and perfect. They were good when they cooled off too, but without the hit of tannins. The wine flavor was much more subtle, though the chocolate flavor was much stronger, as I actually had time to frost them when they wouldn't melt.

Bosslady wanted something chocolate too, so I went for the Starbucks Cinnamon Chocolate Bread, which has been a hit even though I burned it around the edges. It was rich and crumbly on this slushy day, and there's only the burned end left since the cashiers went to town on it. I added a little chili powder to the topping, because I like my dishes with a bite to them. If it hadn't been for a pregnant woman, I probably would have added some coffee, too. It's a little dryer than I expected, given the sheer volume of butter, but that's a poundcake characteristic, I suppose. Ought to have tea with it or something.

I'm thinking my next baking project will be less chocolately. For my birthday, I'm imagining Raspberry Eggplant's Mango Kulfi Cupcakes, though I'd probably modify the frosting, since I despise meringue (except for the crunchy fruity meringue macaroons I got in Lille). Good plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment