Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Bonne année! Meilleurs voeux!

Happy New Year, everyone! Sorry for no email yesterday: I was sleeping and cleaning. What better way to spend a New Year's Eve, eh? The evening wasn't much more exciting. Matthias and I stayed in. I made lasagna with whatever was left in the fridge (spinach and brie and pepper sauce) and stuffing with the stale ends of baguettes that we keep collecting. We passed the hours watching Green Wing with a bottle of cheap fizzy wine (seriously, 93 cents and drinkable) and then tried to go out, but everything was closed. Lame. But that's what we get for living in a small town, I suppose.

The week was much more exciting! Mom and I went to Paris and did all the Paris things. Saw the Eiffel Tower, saw the Arc de Triomphe, walked the Champs-Elysées, climbed the million stairs to Sacre-Coeur, went to Notre Dame on Christmas. I ran through a flock of pigeons and a crazy man threw bread crumbs at me (though I suppose if he makes his living coaxing pigeons to land on tourists, my disturbing the pigeons is a crumb-worthy offense). We went to Let's Go restaurants. We became masters of the metro, particularly lines 4 and 9. I can now recite most of the mid-town metro stations on line 4 in order from Gare du Nord to Odéon (mostly, anyway, and I know there are Starbuckses at Odéon, Cluny, and St. Michel).

We didn't go to Brittany, by the way. The woman at the train station said they were out of Eurail seats and we weren't brave or motivated enough to just get on the train anyway, when there was a chance we'd be heavily fined or not able to come back in time for Mom to catch her plane. So that was that. More time in Cambrai and Paris anyway, and it's much easier to find your feet (I'm guessing) in a small town than a big city, so Mom could wander around and buy things and I think that was good. It was nice to have her here. It's a little lonely now, just me and Matthias, but I'm supposed to go to Belgium with Dunkerque Dan (one of the other assistants) tomorrow, so that ought to be fun.

The sun is out! So I think I'll go for a walk. I hope all of your new year's celebrations were bright and delightful, just as the year itself should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment